Sunday, March 04, 2007

Tara & Puppies!

What a night! It was about 5:20 pm yesterday, I was sitting here at the computer and I hear a squeak from Tara’s side of the basement! A puppy had arrived! While Shelby’s had 2 litters, she always had them in the middle of the night, unbeknown to us. So this was the first time we were a part of it!

Brandy was on his way home from Chicago, or rather Des Moines, where they spent the night, so it was just me and the kids. Shianne and I went in to check it out. There was the little gal, still with umbilical cord and bag and stuff. Shianne thought that was gross!

A little while later, I asked Shi if she wanted to go in with me again, and she said, “Is that electrical cord still on it?” :)

After about a 1/2 hour, Tara was doing a great job licking it, but she still hadn’t nursed, and no more puppies. I was a bit concerned, so I called a friend who raises dogs. She said sometimes it can take even 2 hours between births, so not to worry unless Tara was acting funny (which she wasn’t). But that the little puppy needed to nurse and needed to warm up.

So, for the second time that day (the first is yet another story) I go into the little pop-up tent (about 3 or 4 feet wide by high), with Tara. I about part way in, trying to get the puppy to nurse by just about forcing her on. It was kinda cool in a way. To see how these little creatures, just like the rest of us, come from a different world (inside) and yet can make it out here and figure out things like eating and breathing. God is so cool! There were some things I did not enjoy however, like laying in uck. And remember I mentioned Tara was great at licking? It must be instinctive to her during labor, because I got quite a few licks right on my face. Thanks. Later my dog friend said to me, "and you know where that tongue was!" Thanks, Judy, for the mental picture!! Then I started rubbing her down with a dry cloth since she didn’t have any wiggly bros or sis to keep her warm.

It was almost 2 hours before the next one came. And again, after Tara had him all cleaned up, I crawled in to help him nurse and rub him down. About 45 min later, a 3rd. Again…you get the picture.

By this time, Brandy made it home (Hooray! He got home safely without getting caught in the blizzard!). But he was exhausted. So it’s still up to me to be the obstetrician. The next one came, stillborn. Tye cried and said, “Oh, that poor puppy.” Yes, indeed.

So Brandy goes to bed and I settle in for a long night. Puppy number 4 comes. Again……

By this time my sweatshirt has blood and other stuff on it, cuz there isn’t really a dry spot to lay in there. But what’s a gal to do, but wash, wash, wash her hands and try not to think about her face?! And either throw away the sweatshirt or keep it for the next time I play doctor. ha!

About 11:30 pm the 5th one comes. After this one, Tara settles down and is very calm. I really wonder if she’s done. I stayed up until 12:45 am to make sure, and to make sure each of the puppies got their fair share of milk. When they are tiny tiny that is very important. I was sure she was done, so I showered (boy did that feel good, even tho I shut the water off in between washing my hair because we’re still having sewer problems!), went to bed and set the alarm for 4 am to go and check on them and “re-attach” where needed. I was tired, but yet it was kinda neat.

At 3:30ish Tye fell out of bed (ouch!). Since I was up already I went to check. Still 5 puppies. Tara wasn’t quite as relaxed but doing well. I worked on re-attaching, washed up, and went to bed.

Brandy and I got up about 7 am. Since he was now more refreshed I said it was his turn to go check on the pups. He came back up.

“You said there were 5 puppies?” He said, “Now there’s 6 plus another stillborn.”

WOW!!! She had gone at least 4 1/2 hours between!!! What an adventure. What a weekend!

Momma & babies, not yet 24 hours old…













Puppy pics…as you can see, this one still has part of his “electrical cord.”













Okay, this one just made me laugh. Tara is saying, like most women after giving birth, “Do you really need to take my picture, now?!” And I think she looks like one of those “The Dog” photos!

Congratulations 6 times over, Tara! You did great!

No comments: