Sunday, August 24, 2008

Good-Bye Plastic!


Yesterday I finally did it!! Cut up those cards!! Yippee!! Actually I gotta tell you, it's a very freeing feeling. No more overspending cuz we "put it on the card" (the average person spends 12-18% more when they buy with credit, even if they are paying it off every month). No more momentary catch of breath because I can't remember if I remembered to pay the credit card. Woo Hoo!!

Now, you say, what about those rewards? Well, something like 75% of them are never used. But if you're a faithful user of them and never pay your card late, you're still probably spending more than you would if you handed over cold hard CASH, right? Cuz that hurts. Ouch.

As for me, on rare occasion I accidentally pay the card late. And that $39 or whatever fee totally cancels out any discount I may have received at the time of sale. And it ups significantly what we moms have too many instances of anyway...guilt.

And just in case you're wondering, you can do everything with a debit card that you can with a credit card, and they are just as safe. The only possible thing you may run into is there are 2 rental companies that don't accept debit cards. Why I don't. But the other rental companies do. So if I have to rent a car, I'll just go with them!

There, I'm off my soapbox. Aren't you glad? LOL

When Jaden got up from his nap, he got in the fun with me! He's concentrating so hard here...

Yes, buddy, they are tough to cut up. You should try calling and canceling them! I was only given about 300 reasons why I shouldn't cancel them. But I held firm! And as you can tell below, it was a GREAT feeling!

4 comments:

Jinglebritches said...

WOO HOO!!!!! I'm proud of you!!

Love you to pieces!!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Carey, You are a blogging queen! I just started a blog, and found you via Janelle's. How do I put a link on my blog to yours? Is that possible? I'm trying to do the same with Janelle's. I'm such a rookie. - Jennifer

janelle said...

Carey! Way to go!!! I've cut mine up just still trying to pay them off! What a day that will be-I know that God will be doing the Happy Dance with me and Clint on that day!

I'm with Jennifer - how do I get a link to other people's blogs on my blog? Help - you are the blogging queen, young and sweet, (no longer) 17!! (always a song from me friend, always a song...)

love ya.

JulieM said...

Way to go!! We did the cash budget and no credit cards all last year and then were a little lax this summer we're back at it next month. It makes you think when you hand over cash verses swiping your debit card or writing a check. When you see the cash disappearing it makes a difference. When you hand the gal at Starbucks a $5 and only get $1 and some change it really makes you think :)!