How's it Going? Really?
Man, that's a loaded question! A hard one to answer. A friend, Shondra, (also my stylist, who called wondering why we weren't at our scheduled hair appointments...eek!) asked me that question tonight. I get asked that a lot. And sometimes, even to those who really want to know, I give the "pat" answer to. Maybe cuz it's a loaded question...not so easy to answer. Unless you have an hour to discuss it. Unless I have loads of time to really explain. Unless I can even put it into words.
Cuz how can I really explain...
- That even with all they've gone through...all my kids are, well, kids?
- That even though I love them with everything in me, sometimes I just don't love them like I should?
- That one minute everything is going good, and the next everything/everybody falls apart?
- That even though spring planting hasn't been going on that long...being a Mom without a Dad is very very hard?
- The happiness of two 3 year olds running around naked before bedtime or a bath? =)
- The already closeness of two sisters the same age...who love being "twins"?
- The tension between the oldest in the family and a girl who used to be the oldest in the family? Can you say "pecking order"?
- Figuring out who really is in the wrong when you can't understand 3/4s of the story?
- How tiring it is trying to figure out what your kids really want you to know, and keep trying to tell you either in their native tongue or through charades?
- Being a referee all day long?
- Holding. Time ins. Yes, I refused to do them and then in exasperation (I guess?) started doing them. How do I explain that even though I'm holding a child fighting me with everything in him, in the long run it has helped him so much emotionally? It has helped him bond with me more?
- Just how exhausting, mentally and physically, time-ins are? Especially when there are sometimes 3+ a day?
- How wonderful it feels when the child with the most time-ins actually has a time-in without fighting against you?
- Being awestruck at the awesomeness of this family that God put together from 3 different worlds?
- The joy in a smile? In a tight hug? In an "I love you, Mom"?
- The joy in seeing the kids who are used to being here longer, being patient with the kids who aren't so used to it, and with a mom who's quite tired at times?
- How proud I am of every single one of my kids?
- How proud I am of my husband, who's developing a patience I've never seen in him before?
- How even though every week is better, I'm more tired, so I'm leaning on God harder and harder (He's holding me up most days, I'm betting)?
- How right now I'm collecting 9 "samples" of poop for the doctor?
- How it's hard to chose what things we can go to and what things we can't?
- How even though I lay in bed many times missing my old life...I wouldn't give up a single one of my kids? Not for all the money in the world? or energy?
- How aside from wishing we were further into the adjustment and English language, I wouldn't change a thing? If I could do it all over again I would?
- How I'm successfully fighting off PAD (post adoption depression) this time (Praise the Lord!!!!!!!) thanks to working with a physical trainer who pushes me to my limits?
- How do I explain that I am NOT doing this...that GOD is? No matter what people think? And that YOU TOO can do whatever God calls you to do? That I'm a prime example that He doesn't call the equipped but equips the called?
I'm going to end with a quote from Nicole Johnson (you can find her at freshbrewedlife.com) that I read yesterday that totally resonated with me:
"The truth is, motherhood's the hardest thing I've ever done. I've never been more tired in my life, I've never felt less like myself--and yet, I've never loved anything more."
You tell it, Sister!






8 comments:
Wow.
This post is ... amazing.
I admire you, dear one. And your hubby, too. Sending love and prayers to you all!!!!
Your post described all the emotions and thoughts you are going through very well! Thanks for sharing! =)
Carey, this was beautiful - I think sometimes we give that "pat" answer because people want that answer to be the real answer. Grateful that you have laid it all out - helps me know how to pray.
Love you.
Well said my friend, well said! I understand what you are going through. I have walked down the same path and have had many of those emotions myself.
I'm a firm believer in "He doesn't call the equipped but equips the called."
Great post!
Carey. Thank you! I love this more then I can express.
I started a spin class..I thought out of nowhere..now I know why I'm doing it after years of not working out at all..I need it :-)
Thanks again. Really, I have to tweet it, amazing and made me cry.
I love you more!!
Ah, Carey,
Miss you so much. I would love to have you give me your pat answer to my face, knowing that I know that there is ALWAYS more to the answer than time allows.
Love you!
Miriam
Great job!
Time-ins and age vs natural birthing order and holding time...oh the joys!!! but I know I was purposed for this time, these kids, this place...and I hold fast to that on the rough days!
Post a Comment