Our Journey has Begun
Wow, we're really on our way! The hardest part of any journey is the first step. Isn't that how it goes? Well, I'm sure we have some tough steps ahead of us, but God is already there, and there's comfort in that.
For those of you who are reading this but don't know us, here's a little idea. Brandy and I have been married for 12 years. We have 3 kids. Shianne (almost 8), Sierra(5), and Tye (3). Brandy farms, trucks, and works for his dad's ag supply company. There's always something to do at work. He also enjoys working with youth at our church, bow hunting, NASCAR, sports, Red Green and the "Dukes," spending time with us...and lots of other things that aren't coming to mind right now! =) I am an in-home daycare provider (Carey's Playcare). I also have a sideline newsletter business for Mary Kay directors. In my spare time (what's that?) I like to read, scrapbook and spend time with our family. I'm trying to like exercising (I like the results!).
Some of you are probably wondering how we got to this point, adopting. That's a good question. I'm not even sure when we started talking about adoption. If I had to guess I would say before Tye was born. It's just something we've thought about for a long time. And it was clear that the idea was from God. It was just a matter of when.
Last winter we starting thinking a little more seriously about it. During a Cursillo meeting (I'll explain Cursillo another time) we were having a group prayer. I silently prayed, Lord, let me know when it's time. He said clear as a bell, "it's time." I knew it was Him and not my own thought because I was shocked! I wasn't sure I was ready.
So we started doing some digging. I have a friend, Cindy, who adopted from Guatemala and who has been so helpful. Thanks, Cindy! I went online and one of my discoveries was America World Adoption Agency (AWAA). We requested an info packet from them as well as from a couple other agencies. AWAA had seminars not too far away from us, so in March we went to one. We were very impressed with the way AWAA handles things and how Biblically based they are. We pretty much decided then and there that was the agency for us.
Next was the decision of which country! How do you choose? We decided not to choose based on $ or travel. We wanted God to lead us where He wanted us. It took us quite a while to hear Him, but finally it was obvious that our next child was in China. Wow. Finding that out was like discovering I was pregnant! Very exciting.
Okay, then we sent in our application. A couple weeks later we found out we're approved! Well, for that part any way. That was just a tiny first step. This past Monday I sent in our agreement with AWAA so they can send us a pile of paperwork. AND...after some frustrating time trying to find someone (and the right someone), we've found an agency to do our homestudy!! And they are going to be in the area next Monday and Tuesday, so we're having our 1st homestudy meeting Monday night. Hooray!
Brandy is gone all week and weekend with our Jr Gap kids at Power Connection. So that leaves me to get the house and yard ready. I'm not going to go overboard (I hope). But I would like it to look kinda nice.
Well that's about it for tonight. I'm afraid my posts won't be very exciting until probably 9-10 months from now (I'm hoping to have a referral by then) when we could possibly get pictures of Jaden. We're told an adoption from China usually takes 10 months to 14 months. But there could be setbacks. We're hoping and praying Jaden comes home sometime next summer. But until then, I'll use this blog to keep everyone informed on what's going on in our lives, and how our adoption process is going. We would appreciate your prayers! Email me and let me know how I can pray for you.





