Saturday, January 20, 2007

Girl or Boy?

I don't know if you've noticed, but I've changed the heading of our blog to "bringing our child home from China," instead of daughter. That's because we put down "either" on our SN appication! That means either a girl or a boy. It's a bit strange to think about a boy when we've been thinking girl since July! But we are open to either one. Back in July we weren't considering special needs so girl was our only option. China tends to keep their boys unless they have special needs.

So, like our other 3 children, we don't know in advance if Jaden is a boy or a girl! It has wonderfully occured to us that "Jaden" could go either way. We believe God had this planned all along as it was amazingly simple for us to pick a name this time (Sierra was 12 hours old before we could agree on a name!).

That said, we are still going to refer to Jaden as "her" and "she." It's just easier that way! I didn't have any problem with "it" or "baby" when I was pregnant. But Jaden could already be born, and could be a toddler.

We'll just have to go the route of our friends Terry and Brenda. They were told by the ultrasound (yes, in 2005 this still happens!) that they were having a girl. Picked out the name, painted the room pink, had girl baby announcements...and out came Mitchel! Not a girl! :) Time will tell!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carey & Brandy~

I am so happy for you that you were able to come to a decision on the SN thing. When we are pregnant with our children we don't get to choose - God decides. Same with this, God knows Jaden; he knows what needs (s)he has and knows how perfectly this child will fit into your lives and your family. I pray that you feel peace about your decision - hard as it may have been - but God will bless you. Reminds me of Luke 5 where Jesus talks about the fact that the healthy don't need a doctor but the sick. Jaden, SN or not, needs you both.

Love, Janelle