Prayer Request
A little history..."way back" in August when Brandy and I were having our homestudy visits, our SW (social worker) asked us if we would consider special needs. Without hesitating we said, "No." Period. End of story.
God has been working on our hearts. It's funny how in 5 months I can go from "absolutely no" to "maybe this is the way we should go..." It's gotta be a God thing.
There are many minor special needs, which we in the U.S. may not even consider special needs. However, these of course, are the most requested. There are about 80-100 families on the waiting children (or special needs) list held by our adoption agency, AWAA. AWAA gets about 20 waiting children referrals every 3-4 months. While the majority of those on the waiting list are looking for a girl, 0-2, with minor needs, there are probably only 4 or so that come under that category in each batch of referrals.
While you're on the Waiting Child list, you are still on the waiting list for a referral of a "healthy" child. So it may be that you would not be referred a Waiting Child, but end up being referred a "healthy" child in the long run.
The "healthy" child (can you tell by my quotes that I'm not really comfortable with this terminology, but I don't know how else to put it?) referral process right now is 15 months from LID (Log in Date at the China Center of Adoption). Our log in date will probably be the end of January. After a referral, you generally have about 2 months before you go to China. So right now, that would probably be about 18 months for us. But this can change.
Generally, it goes quicker with a special needs child, because there are so many of them waiting, and they want to get these children placed quickly.
Last night, while I was praying, I really felt God saying that it was time to call our agency about Special Need. So I did that today. I got some questions answered and am waiting on a Special Needs packet to arrive in the mail in a week or so.
The gal I talked to suggested looking over the special needs list located on their website, and possibly researching them some on the internet, as none of them at AWAA are doctors. So I've done some of that. I'm not sure this was good advice!! I mean, I know it's best to be informed...I really do believe that. But it's so hard and overwhelming to look at these things online, not knowing (FYI, all special needs children from China have physical needs. Those with mental needs are not available to be adopted-why I have no idea).
My point of this long and rambling post is to ask for prayer for Brandy and myself as we seek God's direction in this decision. Please pray that God's will be done, and that we don't try to run ahead of Him! Whether on the Waiting Child list or not, we already love Jaden and cannot wait to bring her home! God is good, and He will give us what we need. Please pray also for Jaden, whether she has been born or not, that God watches closely over her and protects her.






2 comments:
I will be praying - we also are considering special needs - in fact, on our last list from Bethany - we asked for one of the girls - we were not chosen for her, but we are still open when the next list comes out. I know - that's huge - God will lead though.
Carey & Brandy:
What a big decision. I will pray for both of you as you seek God's will and listen for his voice. Even though you don't yet know Jaden, HE does. HE knows what needs she has and HE has chosen you two to be her parents.
Praying you through,
Janelle
Post a Comment