Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Goin' Pretty Well...

Okay, we're getting on a routine now I think. Thankfully I'm home today with no daycare kids. Sierra is some better but with a fever you never know if it'll be back later in the day, so she's home again. Hopefully it'll stay gone for good! Please, Lord.

I did get sleep last night. I went to bed about 12:30 am and Brandy said he'd work with them when he got home. I set the alarm for 4 am...but it's like I never even heard it! I must have shut it off but I have no recollection. So up at 6:30 to check on them and latch them on. At 6:30 she had had one more...so up to seven pups. But while I was out there one died. So down to 6.

Brandy took off for the vet. I'm concerned she's not cleaning out well enough so he went for a shot of oxytocin, and also an antibiotic to start her on. He also picked up a dog warming bed for them to lay on to keep things a little warmer. When he got back we worked with them again, and she was up to 7 again.

It gets a bit overwhelming but I think I've got a system down. I'm going out every hour. It's kinda nice Sierra is home to watch over Jaden. Every other hour I'm latching on different pups than the hour before. You'd think I could do them all at once but not so. They've already got favorite teets, and trying to keep all of those squirmy little puppies on their own teet is hard and frustrating! Sometimes you've got to hold them on for a while, and then another stronger one comes along and scoots him over and he's off. I'm trying to figure out a way to know exactly who was fed the hour before. I tried tying a string around them (then we had 2 teams, "strings" and "no strings") but Molly just licks them off. Haven't come up with a better solution yet. A couple look different but most look the same.

When Brandy left the second time he said "I love you" with a look on his face that said "I sorry you're doing this alone, and I really really love you." That's okay, Babe. We'll make it! Say a prayer that we don't lose any more pups!

5 comments:

Steph said...

Wow! You have been busy! Congratulations on your new pups! What is the procedure - how long do you keep them, etc?

Sara said...

Congrats on the pups! What a busy time! You can be thankful that it didn't happen this weekend - God does have things in His plan!!
We would love to come and see the puppies when the get big enough to have little visitors.

Leah said...

Awwww.. I want to see pictures of the puppies! (Like you don't have enough going on!) I am glad to hear Sierra is doing better.

Denise said...

Wow, stay away from your blog for a few days and looked what I missed..how exciting..and tiring!

Miriam said...

Wellllll? How many puppies do you have? Boxers ARE hard! I've supported Allison through several litter woes as well...