Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Whew! What a Day! And it Ain't Over Yet...

Hey! Yes, tonight I'm blogging late. But I have a good reason! Molly is having puppies and I'm up late to watch over them. But more about that later...

What a day!! Sierra woke up at 2 am with a fever. Shoot. No daycare, but more importantly, no trick or treating for Sierra tonight. Such a sad life lesson. (I'll post pics of my cute trick or treaters later). Later in the day it was 102.5 before Tylenol. Don't you just hate it when your kids are sick?

The day wore on...Jaden refused to take an afternoon nap...looked like Tye was getting a fever, too (but thankfully just an overprotective mamma's imagination)...talked to Brandy on the phone and he was having a bad day at work (which I might add is still ongoing, started at 7:30 am and he figures to be done about 1 am tonight, but now things are going a bit better...oh! And he did take a 2 hour break to watch Sierra Gracie while the rest of us trick or treated, which was so sweet of him)...and Molly went into labor.

Thankfully, God blessed me with the notion to bring something down to the shed, can't even remember what right now, or rarely do I go out there. Noticed she was in the beginning stages of labor, and worked to set some stuff up for her. Makes me nervous when our doggies go into labor because we seem to have very little luck in the keeping-puppies-alive department. So, naturally, I want to do all I can.

Checked on her a few times. Once in time to see her eating a stillborn pup (yes, aren't you glad you read my blog today). I continued to set things up for her, like heat lamps, even though I really wanted to go outside and vomit. Literally. But I kept my cookies down. And yes, this can be a normal thing, just not something I've seen before. Ugh.

Trying my best to heat things up in there because it is not yet insulated. And tho it was fairly warm for the end of October, it will considerably cool down tonight. I don't like heat lamps much, as this is what started the fire in there this spring, but I don't have too many choices at the moment. At least we're a bit smarter now and much more cautious about how we set them up.

So tonight after I got home, she had one live pup. So the idea is to go in there every hour or so and make sure the pups are on a teet, and rub them down.

Ok, maybe it's the late hour, but pardon my french. There's a reason they are called b~~~~hes. Oh my goodness!!!

Sunday Brandy showed me the scars on Molly and Dyna from when they lived in the same kennel, and for a couple of days decided they hated each other (after which we separated them). Sheesh. Well, now they are in separate kennels, but next to each other. They are both pregnant and those are the kennels where they can't get outside (don't want pups born outside).

Molly is being so absolutely true to the b name given to female dogs!! And Dyna is a close second. I've put up plastic sheets to give Molly privacy, and in the small space where they could see each other, Molly took time out from birthing to try to have a dog fight through the fence! And she started it while I was in the little whelping tent with her. I got out pretty fast.

I tied Dyna up on the far side of her kennel, and it has helped some. Molly better be a good mama, cuz right now she's not on my good side. Remember Tara licking my face as I'm helping her during labor? Molly puts up with me but growls at me. Lovely.

The more experienced dogs are spending as much time as possible outside. Even tho she can't see them, when she hears them come in, she growls. She'd be one of those women who swears like a sailor during labor. And if I think about it, gotta admit labor isn't fun, and I should probably cut her some slack. Just hoping she doesn't get too upset at me.

Well, the good news is she's got 3 live pups at the moment, at least as of an hour ago. She's had 2 stillborn. Time for me to go check on her. Wish me luck (better yet, say a little prayer!). Whose idea was it to have boxers in the first place...and where is he now?? Good thing I love that man so much!

3 comments:

Miriam said...

So how are things now? Here's hoping you got some sleep and that Sierra is feeling better!

jennifer said...

So glad I decided to check your blog during my morning Cheerios!!! THat is disgusting!! You are a good wife.

Leah said...

You are a mess, girl! Brandy is one lucky man!