Thursday, January 17, 2008

Room Makeover

Shianne has been asking for a new look for her room for a looooong time. I wasn't ready to do yet another room, and aside from needing new carpet, her room was pretty cute. I didn't understand why she wanted to redo it so badly. Then the reason came up and I finally understood. A few years ago we had a foreign exchange student living with us, Jin Joo. When she first came, we were just building the bedroom (in the basement). Jin Joo and I decorated it for Jin Joo to have as her own while she stayed with us. Now, we decorated it with Shianne in mind for future use. In fact, Jin Joo was simply pleased with whatever she got. We asked Shianne about the bedding etc, and she agreed. However, a few months ago I discovered that Shianne still viewed her room as Jin Joo's room, not hers. Ahhh...the light bulb went on for this mamma. And since I'd let Sierra and Tye redo their rooms how they liked to get ready for Jaden...you get the idea.


Shianne didn't have much of a bedroom set, so we decided to get her a new bed and dresser for Christmas. I was hoping we could find a loft bed. Something for her "tween" years that would carry her through high school. Well, after much looking, we found one. She was very surprised and loves it.

Here is Brandy putting it up New Years Day...

And here's the finished product, minus her stuff on the desk...

Then last week we started painting. We're getting "new to us" carpet installed soon and it's SO much easier to paint when you don't have to be careful of the carpet. I didn't intend on letting Shianne help, but she wanted to so badly and I thought without carpet would be the best way for her to learn. I'm really glad I did. There were times when she wasn't listening and got paint on things, but she got the chance to learn and we had fun working together. Here she's putting an extra coat over the little circles that were painted on the wall that wanted to show through. The color here looks a lot more orange than in real life. It's really a brown with orange undertones.
Her chosen "theme" is of course horses. I found a wall mural online that my friend Brenda agreed to help me hang tomorrow night. It should go very well with the paint. And we found some horse bedding. Brandy is planning on doing something fun with a wood chairail and putting some wood on the bed to pull it all together.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Can't wait to see the finished product! I have been doing some painting myself to pass all of this waiting time...

Karen said...

How fun! I bet she enjoyed getting to help out!
I remember years ago when we bought our oldest her loft bed and let her help decorate her own room. We now have 2 loft beds in our house. I'm not sure how we'd do without them. I love all the space they make underneath!

Sara said...

Can't wait to see a picture of the mural! I bet it looks really neat! What a great bonding time!