Monday, January 14, 2008

Thank You

I had the privilege of listening to some speakers this weekend. Nope, these were not professional speakers, these were just gals like me (or you, if you're a gal!). They were giving their "practice talk" for the Cursillo weekend (a spiritual retreat) that's coming up the first weekend in March. Sideline here...if you need a weekend away, and would like to rest in God's love, let me know and I'll get you signed up...it's free! Anyway...back to the talks. These gals opened themselves and poured out their hearts. Wow. They were/are an example of Christ's love.

One of the women speakers was a friend of mine. Well, actually, I'm blessed to be friends with quite a few of them, but I'm going to focus on this one in particular. I used to babysit her kids a lot when I was young...and we don't see each other as much as we'd like to anymore but she's a good friend. She adopted her two children domestically.

I learned through her talk and the discussion afterwards that during the adoption of their son they had no support system. Although it doesn't seem that long ago to me, I guess it wasn't quite 30 years ago. Their church didn't talk about infertility...no one did back then. So they were of no support, in fact their silence added to their pain and hurt. And their agency would not even give them names of other adoptive parents. It was taboo. Talk about being on an island. Thankfully 4 years later, when they adopted their daughter, their adoption agency had opened up a bit and gave them names of other adoptive parents so they could have a support system.

I want to give a big huge THANK YOU to the adoptive parents that came before us. Either 30 years ago or 5 years ago. You helped pave the way. You helped change minds. You helped open hearts. You helped people understand. And because of that, even though our adoption road wasn't easy, it was so much smoother than it could have been because of you. A big heartfelt THANK YOU and God Bless!

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Amen, sister! I can't imagine doing it without this incredible support system we have here!