Friday, April 25, 2008

Earth Day Happenings

Earth Day this year was a beautiful day. In the morning it wasn't even windy. And major wind is getting to be the norm here. I was talking with a friend and she didn't think it was so windy here while we were growing up. I think she might be right. Wonder if it's the effects of global warming? Hope not.

I was moving so tulip bulbs from a flower bed I'm turning into lawn (just don't have the time for a big flower bed) and found some earthworms. Now earthworms are wonderful for the ground, and the dirt where my veggie garden is could be better.

Now the funny thing is, this past weekend Shianne planted a couple of maple trees she got from school. We found some earthworms, and Sierra and Tye wouldn't even consider touching them. Too gross.

But when I took them over to the daycare kids, Hanah (who has 2 older brothers) grabbed them right out of my hand. Well, then it was ok with Tye. Too cute. Hanah teaching Tye (who has 2 older sisters) how to be more comfortable with creepy crawly things. Way cute that Tye was not to be outdone my his "girlfriend." We probably moved a dozen worms. Then later we saw a garter snake in the flowerbed! Yick. But this kids liked it. So off they wen't to look for a frog, which they never found. But overall I'd say Earth Day was a great success at our house.

In honor of Earth Day and doing more to take care of our planet, here's a couple pics of Shi planting her trees at the edge of our property...

Ummm....Mom....sun's in my eyes!

1 comment:

Amy said...

We've had a lot of wind here the last few springs here too. I don't remember it being quite as windy when I first moved here (but then again I have trouble remembering what I did last week). I do remember IA being windy as a kid though, waiting for the bus at the end of the driveway and about being blown over...