Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

I was going to post a sweet flowery "Happy Mother's Day" picture. But then I came across this one and just had to go with it!We've already celebrated Mom's Day a bit. Sierra had a Mother's Day Tea at school, which was really nice. She was in a play and did a great job! Sierra and Shianne both had presents for me that they made at school that had to be given to me before the actual day. So sweet.


I've been reflecting on change lately. Maybe a Mother's Day post would be a good time to reflect on that. Cuz there are daily changes in being a mom. Just take a look at your kids! Change is constant. And there are changes in us as well.

I've changed a lot since becoming a mom. It's helped me to find myself (although I'm always still looking...have you seen me? Sorry, I've always got to throw a little humor in!). Seriously. I've been told that "I've changed" accusingly by people in the past. They're right. I have. Some is conscious. I pray for the better. Some change is because of the circumstances I'm in. I'm busier now that I'm a mom some things that were once important...now aren't. I've seen things in me I didn't like and wanted to change. There are things God wanted me to change (those changes aren't always easy). But the other day it dawned on me, some changes in ourselves occur when we aren't looking.

Believe it or not, as a child I adored cats and kittens. I would play with them for hours on our farm. I also remember going to my Grandma's...and while she milked cows I would go find the kittens in the straw. Now there's a picturesque memory! I tamed cats. I tried to nurse them back to health. I loved them.

Now...I have to admit I do NOT like cats as an adult. I'm sure it started with an allergy that arose during college. But I'm only slightly allergic to them now. I even had cats in my basement not that long ago and while my allergies increased, they didn't go nuts. I don't like that they sit on car hoods. I don't like that they use my trees and scratching posts. I dont' like that they jump on counters. I don't like that they don't catch the mice that come into my house. I don't like it that they hiss and scratch and sometimes attack my littler dogs (what's up with that?!). I don't like how most of them could care less if you're around or not. I don't like their attitudes. I don't like it that males sometimes kill their young. I could go on! (Sorry to cat lovers!)


When I was growing up we always had a dog or two. I liked them ok, but not nearly like cats. Now I'm totally a dog person. If you read my blog you know that. In fact, right now I have a puppy sleeping at my feet (oh, and BTW, Kalli is doing fine. Although I'm still feeling guilty!).


My point to this long explanation? Sometimes change, even in your personality, just happens. It may even sneak up on you. Change is imminent.

Shianne wrote a poem in school. The assignment was to right about a "Special Place". I loved reading it. Her special place could have been my special place at her age. And, it could be now. I haven't changed in this area. I'm just too busy to "be still." I need to consciously change that busyness on occasion and take time for that...soon and on a regular basis.


(In case you're wondering what a "pit" is. It's a small body of water...somewhere between the size of a pond and a lake. Big enough to boat in but probably not big enough to ski on. Shianne's Grandparents live on a "pit". It's called a pit because it used to be a sand pit...where a gravel company dug for sand and gravel. It's actually quite pretty...it's been there for years and has a large grove of trees surrounding it. On to the poem...)

A Special Place
by Shianne
Get in the row boat
Row to a island on the pit.
Get on the island with weeds and grass,
and where frogs and toad can hide.
Look all around you could seen a swan,
Or if our very quiet you could see a fish jump.
And if our very lucky you could see a deer and her fawn.
But my favorite part is taking a little swim.
This is my favorite place to go.

Happy Mother's Day. May your changes be easy and lead you in God's direction.

2 comments:

Jinglebritches said...

Nicely said!!

And Shianne...I love your poem!!

Love you to pieces!!

Amy said...

I like Shianne's poem...the pit, brings back memories:). I hear you on the "changing" thing, thank goodness for change and growth.