Friday, June 13, 2008

Summer

We've set some goals/rules for the summer that I'm excited about. We need to set some more as well, like a daily routine (practice piano, make bed, other small chores, etc). We already have one "left over" from the school year for Saturdays.

One of my favorites...during the school year, everyone takes a nap at Carey's house! It's good to have a rest time and Carey needs a break! :) Even if you're in Kindergarten, etc, you take a nap. The last 3 years this has worked out well. Ok, but now it's summer. So Shianne and Sierra are home, and at 9 and 7 they don't need a daily nap, nor do they want to take one. I can't say that I blame them. So...if you whine at all before nap time--even once--you take a nap. It's a win/win for me! It's cut down on the whining and if they do whine, more peace and quiet during nap time for mama. LOL

We'd decided no tv June, July and August...except the weather channel for a few minutes. Brandy can keep up on his sports on the internet, and the kids don't need it. They can still play some on the computer and also the Wii, if they ok it with me first. Then we thought maybe they could earn some tv time with reading. Tye, of course, gets to be read to or spend time looking at books. It's a 2:1 ratio. One hour of reading gets you 30 minutes of tv time, etc. Today Shianne is watching a movie (she loves to read) and Sierra and Tye are watching 30 minutes of it. LOL Forbid it that they should save it up for a full movie!

Brandy "earns" tv time by exercise and bible study. Now me, I'm not so much a tv watcher. I can watch it, but I sure don't miss it if it's not on. The computer is my thing. So...It's exercise and bible study vs computer time for me, too. Both Brandy and I are on a 1:1 ratio.

I've also set a pretty big goal for myself. Starting this past Monday through August 22 (about the time school starts for us)...drumrolllll....2500 minutes of exercise!! See, I'm keeping track...




I've done really well this week. You can tell I'm addicted to the computer! Monday~45 minutes of aerobics, Tues~40 minutes of walking, Wed~25 minutes of aerobics (Jaden woke up before I was done) and 60 minutes of walking behind a lawn spreader (didn't count the weeding and planting grass time, but I figured walking worked), Thurs~day off cuz I thought I was going to CROAK I was so tired!, and today~46 minutes of aerobics.

Exercise is not only good for my physically, but mentally, and I've been really lax in that department lately. It really helps my monthly cycle and my neck/back. Not to mention more energy...even though I've always got enough of that. Ha! Although it's going to take about 39 minutes 6 days a week, or 45 minutes 5 days a week. And that's quite a bit more than I'm used to. But so far, so good! I'm debating just keeping that little "ticker" in this post or moving it to the top of the blog. We'll see!

Leave a comment and let me know about your summer schedules/happenings. I'd love some more ideas!

1 comment:

Jinglebritches said...

Hey, my sister!!! You guys ok down there flooding-wise??