Friday, July 18, 2008

Daycare BBQ...and Poor Tye-Man


For the last couple of years I wanted to have a get together with our daycare families. They really don't know each other very well, only seeing each other on occasion during drop offs and pick ups. Finally we got one organized! We're also excited to have a new family join us this fall, and also one of our families has been on maternity leave with a new baby girl, so there were new people and kids to meet as well. We had a BBQ at our house tonight. It was a really nice evening.

Tye was SO excited. His Hanah has not been here all summer because of her new baby sister, and he misses her so much. This afternoon he was counting down the hours until she got here. He was waiting on the driveway when they came. Practically bursting with excitement.

Not too long in the evening he started acting strange. A little weepy. Didn't want to eat much supper. We did our "Zoo-phonics" actions for the moms and dads and he didn't want to participate at all. I felt his head and he felt a little warm. I was so hoping it was because he had been playing outside.

But no, a bit later he definitely felt warm. I told him he might be sick. He was crying. He wanted me to take his temp so that I could tell him he was not sick. So we did. 102.6. Ouch. He was so upset. He cried and cried. It was about the end of the evening so everyone was starting to go home anyway. But he was so very upset because he couldn't be sick because his Hanah was at his house, and he had missed her so much and wanted to play with her so badly.

He hung out in our bedroom while everyone left. After they were gone (and before) he sobbed and sobbed. He didn't want anything (well, he did want me to stay with him) but Hanah. "I want Hanah."

Oh, man, that little boy loves that little girl. Only in the way a little 5 year old can.

I think I've mentioned before that they are "planning" on getting married. Oh the stories and plans they come up with. It is so adorable. He was just so devastated that his one time in what seemed to him a very long time he could be with his Hanah and now he was sick.


I gave him ibuprofen, and while Brandy tucked the other kids in, Tye and I laid in my bed. As the ibuprofen kicked in and he calmed down we had the best conversation.

First we talked about how next Friday Hanah will again start coming to our house with her brother and her new baby sister and he could play with her all day. We even made plans for Shi and Sierra to go to a friend's house (somewhere) that day so that he could have Hanah all to himself. We talked about how many kids they were going to have. Tye said 5...some girls and some boys. I asked if he had talked to Hanah about that, and he said no, and he thought he probably should talk to her about it. They are going to live at Hanah's house (her parents') because Hanah said that's were she wants to live, and it's not too far from our house. However Tye thought that could be tricky cuz they didn't have 5 extra beds for their kids. :)

Then we talked about our favorite animals, foods, toys, colors...and watched lightening bugs through the window. Finally the ibuprofen caused his fever to break and he got tucked into his own bed.

Boy, do I love that little man.

6 comments:

Amy said...

That is too cute! You can see in the picture how much he loves her. How sweet!

Miriam said...

Don't you just love the things kids say? Peter still has a "proposal" out there from when he was that age--the girl never did answer him, so he's still waiting...lol!

Jinglebritches said...

Too too cute!! Shrimp was proposed to in kindergarten and he held onto that for years!! If anyone ever asked him if he had a girlfriend he always said Emily. Even when they hadnt talked or seen each other for a while. Shrimp is VERY loyal. :0) I will be expecting a wedding invite in about 15 years!!!

Denise said...

Awwwww...too sweet! Hope he is feeling better~

Jinglebritches said...

Hey!! Call me. :0)

jennifer said...

What a sweet little man, and what a special time to remember. He'll hate that story one day!!