Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ethiopia Part I

This is the first part of a series of journal entries (which I will share most of) and that I wrote on our trip. Along with pictures, of course.

April 3, 2009

I love to blog but can’t. Someone told me to journal, I think it was Juliann. I type better than I write. It’s like 2 hands can keep up better with my brain than one.

So here we are!! We are on our way to Africa. What words are there for that?

Last night was a little rough. Not awful. Just rough. Typically in last minute situations I can’t keep my thoughts together (possible ADD?), and last night was no exception.

At one point Brandy took me in his arms and told me it was all good. Ahhh. So true.

Sierra made supper for the first time. Hamburger Helper. She did well. I coached her, but it was a good experience for her. We didn’t sit down together and eat (the kids did) because there was so much left to do. But it wasn’t tense. Praise the Lord for that.

It was Tye’s turn to stay up late. Checkers was the game for the night. We took turns playing. Brandy and Tye started while I tucked in the girls. We had just put the old couch downstairs so one at a time we cuddled on the couch and talked for a bit. I’m so glad I took the time for that. Surely I would have missed out otherwise. Snuggled with Jaden and rock-a-byed. We sang our usual “raindrop” song. I beat Tye at checkers, and then we read a book. I don’t know why I’m writing a play by play of last night. Maybe because it was the last time it would just be the 6 of us. I’m SO looking forward to it being the 9 of us. But I want to remember our last night as the 6 of us. Had some rock-a-bye time with Tye too. I’m so grateful he still loves to do that, even at almost 6 years old. What a sweetie.

Then back to the grindstone. Do this, do that. Get distracted and wonder what in the world I’m doing. Finally felt like everything was good to go about midnight. Off to bed.

Sleep didn’t come right away. But that was ok. I had my clock light turned off so I didn’t know what time it was. I don’t stress out about my preconceived lack of sleep that way. A little something I learned (and enjoy) from Cursillo.

Then Shelby started doing her I’mnotlikingtobeinthelaundryroomeventhoughI’malwayshereatnight routine. Scratch, scratch, scratch at the door. Usually I just let her know she’s in trouble and deal with it all night cuz I don’t want her thinking she can do that and sleep any where she likes all night. But I thought, she’s going to be in there the majority of next week. So after a looooong potty break (where she goes no one knows), I let her stay out. Kalli didn’t hear her leave so she stayed in. Which is good. She has a bladder infection and has been having accidents. Poor Broc has to shove pills down her throat while we’re gone (hence the dog urine sample. Thankfully not as awful as it sounds).

Anyway, then a decent night’s sleep.

This morning I took a loooong hot shower to gather my thoughts about the fact that we were leaving today. Again, no words to describe it. I wish I knew how to put it in words. Joy. Trepidation at the unknown. Wonder. Praising God. All wrapped up together in a misshapenly wrapped present.

The kids were getting ready while I was in the shower. We of course had a few odds and ends to wrap up, but most was done the night before. I was really glad we stayed up late doing it so that we could have a more relaxed morning with the kids. Even got their snowpants out and ready cuz we heard on the radio there’s supposed to be a system coming through. In April.

Said goodbye to Shi, Sierra and Tye before they went out to wait for the bus. It went well. Tye hesitated but didn’t cry. I think it was good for him to be leaving me, and not me leaving him. I pray he’s good now and not missing me. Just having fun at Grandma’s. Sierra was full of hugs and kisses and I love yous and I’ll miss you and headed out the door. Shi was a little calmer (my girl is growing up) with the hugs, kisses, I love yous. But when Dad gave her a long hug and whispered in her ear…she had tears in her eyes as she went out the door.

Man I love those kids.

We took 15 minutes to make sure all was good to go in the house, and Brandy, Jaden and I headed for Grandma’s. Oh, I should mention that we took Jaden’s toddler bed along. Kay’s idea since it’s so light that even with the mattress in it Brandy can carry it.

We took both vehicles cuz Kay had wanted the van to haul the kids around. Wait until we have 7 then she’ll for sure need it! If she doesn’t go crazy even at the thought of watching seven kids! LOL

We unpacked a bit at Grandmas. Jaden ran into the house looking for Grandma and giving her a big hug. Then he was off for the toys. I gave Kay a few directions and showed her the kid’s schedule for the week. Preschool, dance, take piano books on Monday, need a sack lunch on such and such day, etc.

Man I love those kids.

Said good-bye to Jaden with big hugs and kisses. He doesn’t understand what’s going on but really doesn’t care. He gets to stay at Grandmas!

And we were off! Down the road to Omaha. Stopped at Caseys for a healthy (ha) breakfast first.

I tend to sleep in the car. But we had phone calls to make (Brandy had quite a few work ones…hmmm….is he starting to resemble his Dad? No really, honey, I didn’t say that! LOL). I wanted to touch base with a few people. Including my Grandma (Pizza Grandma). Grandpa has a spell of sorts and a few days stay in the hospital. Because of the busyness I didn’t get to visit him. Although I did get to talk with him on the phone. He said he would miss coming out to our house. We’ll miss that too, Grandpa. But hopefully you’ll be up and around again soon. He’s now staying at the nursing home to convalesce. Grandma said there were both doing well.

The plan at the airport was to park in minute parking (or whatever it’s called) till we got checked in. We were plenty early so we’d have for Brandy to park the car while I waited. There was of course only one gal behind the desk at NWA and the line grew. Thankfully we were towards the front.

When it was finally our turn she said, “Oh you’re the ones.” Just what I like to hear from the person checking us in! She had been told to look for us and get us through because they had changed our flight to 12:15 instead of 1:40 pm because that flight was cancelled.

You know, I check flights at times when we’re checking dogs, but I didn’t check ours! And they tried to get a hold of us but the travel agent didn’t list our phone number with our information.

So praise the Lord we had extra time! Cuz now we only had just enough. So I finished checking us in while Brandy went to park the pick-up in long term. He raced back as I waiting for him before the xray thingys (technical I know, but I can’t remember right now what it’s called!). Yeah, he made it and we made the flight.

The NW guy at the terminal told us he was quite upset he didn’t have our phone number (our original flight was cancelled) and was really glad we were early. If we hadn’t made it we wouldn’t have been able to fly out till Monday. Not cool as our embassy appointment (very very important) is on Monday and we wouldn’t have arrived till Tuesday! More than likely we would have had to reschedule our trip.

I just knew it was all the prayers of so many people that got us there when we needed to be. Thank you, Lord for being with us and hearing the prayers of your people! I don’t understand it, but I love it how God lets us be a part of His plan through prayer.

We ended up going to Minneapolis instead of Detroit. It was a short jaunt from Omaha to Minney.

We had about a ½ hour to sit around in our terminal and we were off again (I REALLY hope our luggage is off with us! I think it is. Positive thoughts. No use worrying about something I have no control over anyway. Plus, we’ll make it with our without luggage. Luggage would just make it a tad bit easier).

We tried a couple of times to get seats together, but no dice. Brandy was waaay far away from me on this plane with 3 rows across. But he ended up getting moved because another couple had a fit about not being together (why didn’t I think of that?!?). So now he’s just across the aisle, with one person between us.

I’m squished between 3 men. If I had another 10 pounds on I’d be in big trouble!

There is no room here. Kinda like sardines. But that’s coach for you!

I believe this flight is 9 hours. We’re on our way to Amsterdam. The home country of my ancestors. I’m hoping to get some Dutch food while we’re there. Maybe on the way home I can take some to my Grandma. She’s love that. Although it will be about midnightish our time, so I may not feel like eating.

Then we are off again after a 3 hour layover. An 8 or 9 hour flight again. But thankful we’re sitting together this time. I don’t think I’ll feel quite as squished if I feel like I can touch or reach over the person next to me.

The cool thing is we each have our own little tvs. They have movies and games and you can even shop. My favorite pastime you know (NOT!). But I just got done watching “Marley and Me.” I’ve wanted to see that for a while now. I, of course, have a thing for dogs. And we just happen to have 4 yellow labs still at home. It was a great movie. Laughter and tears. Too many tears for an airplane when you’re squished between men you don’t know. But that’s ok.

When the movie and tears were done I relaxed for a second. Then the tears threatened again as I thought about my kids back home. I already miss them. It’s going to be really hard possibly not being able to contact them much. What great kids we have!! Man, I’m blessed. Wow. And now we’re off to meet our other 3 kids for the very first time. Wow (I’m sick of “wow” but have no other word). Wow.

So as the tears brimmed I thought I’d write. Or type, if you will.

So here I am.

I’m feeling better having journalled. It’s good for my heart. And it will be good to remember later as well.

Thank you, Lord, for the peace you’ve given me today. Thank you so much for the journey you have us on. For allowing us to be a part of your plan. Wow.

1 comment:

Mom2Bs said...

I feel like a reading a good book waiting for the next book to come out! Oh, I have thought about what goes through a mind before you leave your kids at home and fly off across the big ocean. I can't imagine sitting between men I don't know! I am so thankful and praise God for guiding and blessing you all in this journey! The smiles on all your kids are such a wittness to God's love! Tye smiled so cute with all those girls for dance friday night! They all do so well with Grandma/Friend when they are at dance! Take Care!
Blessing's!