Free Entertainment

Yesterday morning I was going for a walk. Since we've lived here (9 years) we've had about 10 acres across the road that's grassland. We had heard that the family that rents/farms the land was ready to till it up to plant either soybeans or corn.
While I totally understand the need to farm it (there is a world food crisis) we'll miss it. It's peaceful.
So anyway, I was going for a walk...saw some pheasants...which is a common site because of the grassland, and wondered how much longer we'd get to keep it. Not long, I imagined.
Later that morning they stopped by my door because they came to burn off the grass. And they forgot fire. (Sounds like something I would do! LOL). So I lent them my firestick.
We decided to go outside and play, and watch the fire.
Well, it proved to be more entertaining that that. The fire got a little out of hand, spreading to some bean stubble and a terrace...and someone driving by called the fire department.
So Svanna, Gabe, Summer, Jaden and I, had free entertainment at our house! (Thanks, K family, I know you provided the entertainment just for us!). If I remember correctly, there were 4 firetrucks and an ambulance, not to mention the firefighters and ambulance crew. And we didn't even have to leave the yard!
It started off well...
Then it got exciting...
(As you can see, the grass we planted last year came in well...not)
Gabe watched to whole thing from the cozy coupe so he wouldn't lose it to Jaden (we have 3 riding toys, but they seem to want the same one!).
The kids weren't as excited as I thought they'd be. The 3 kids that were in school would have been quite excited! But it dawned on me that everything for Svanna, Gabe and Summer is new. Even a tractor. So maybe...this is just something that happens in America...people light fires and fire trucks come. Common as seeing a tractor in the Midwest. (smile)






No comments:
Post a Comment