Friday, June 29, 2007

Selling the Camper

Well, those of you who know us, know that we like to camp as a family. Now, I'm not a real camper! I camp in my 33 1/2 foot 5th wheel! Like my Grandma says, it's not really camping, it's getting away. I've camped since I was a girl, and I've just loved it (when I was little, tent camping was fun...except it rained almost every time we went!).

However, camping has become more of a chore. Since 9/11 camping has become more and more popular. So, getting into our favorite campground can be difficult, sometimes even 90 days in advance. It's quite a bit of work to pack and prepare. We don't keep much stored in the camper since we share it with Brandy's Sister and her family. And it's a large investment. So, after much consideration, we decided to sell our camper (or try to anyway).

If you remember, we had a fire in our machine shed back in April, and the camper was in there. So before we could try to sell it...it became a smoke bomb. Whew! Stinky!

So we called our insurance, and yes it was covered. Then the rigamarole began. The particular cleaning company we were working with was HORRIBLE to work with. *HORRIBLE* They kept putting us off! From April to June! So we finally decided to go with a different company. That didn't work out so good either. Frustrated, we decided to take a cash settlement and sell it as is for less than what it would be worth cleaned (still working on that, hoping and praying it works out).

Well, since it's been months since it's happened, the smell was no longer as awful. Now it smells like someone has been smoking packs of cigarettes in it. So yesterday, I attacked it with cleaning supplies! I also enlisted the help of the girls and one of their friends. I told them if they helped empty out the camper, they could "wash" it with the hose in their swim suits. They thought that was a great deal! I don't know how much it was cleaned on the outside, but every little bit helps, and they had a blast.


Are they washing the camper, or just having fun?






Shianne taking a break (actually a time out, but she doesn't look too upset about it!)



BTW, if you're in the market for a 1995 5th wheel, let me know! And...Brandy got tent for Father's Day (which he wanted). I told him to have fun with the kids with it, unless the weather is perfect and no bugs, it doesn't sound like fun to me. Am I a sissy or what?

2 comments:

Steffie B. said...

Looks like they are having fun...have a great weekend.

Leah said...

Hey baby, I camp in my 28 foot fifth wheel too! As a matter of fact, e are trying to take it to Virginia Beach this next week. Wayne has to check on some jobs and we'd rather stay in the camper than a hotel! Of course I picked a campground that has internet access so I can blog. But I'm not addicted. Really I'm not.