Dogs, Cats, and Tye the Tool Man
Last week when it rained and rained, it gave Brandy some time to work on our dog shed. Because we were losing puppies, we decided to pour cement so we could keep them off the dirt and make it easier to keep things more sanitary. We are hoping to have 2 litters come November. But, since it's not insulated in there (a section of our machine shed), and I didn't want to spend the money on that right now (besides Brandy not having the time with harvest) we were going to take them in the house like last March. Well...it occured to me that as stressful and stinky as that was (see March 2007 posts), it would be double that. Plus, the time before, the mamma dog was the gentlest, quietest dog we have. The 2 upcoming mommies are the noisiest and most hyper. Do I really want them kenneled up in my basement? No. So Brandy began the process of insulating.
Tye had been missing his daddy terribly before all the rain, so he spent lots of time with him in the machine shed. We picked up this little boy tool kit so he could "help." So cute! And he just loves it.Do you remember last spring/summer when I was so frustrated with that tom cat for killing all our kittens (and breaking my kids hearts)? Yes, the word I'd like to use to describe that cat would leave my blog no longer Rated G. Well, obviously, some tom cats do that for one reason. Needless to say, we had 4 batches of baby kittens this fall. However, do to the cold weather, 3 batches died the first night. That is why babies are meant to come in the spring, Mr. Tom! Again, very sad kiddos, understandably. One very smart mama cat dug a hole for her kittens in the straw in our open front horse shed. A cute little cave of sorts. Her two kittens survived. I told the kids though, that they, too, would probably die when it got colder.
Well, I couldn't deal with it. Even tho I don't particularly like cats (loved em when I was little tho) and am mildly allergic to them, Brandy and I decided their little hearts could take no more (please, Lord?) and we'd take them in the house/basement. Besides, the last month we've caught 6 (yes, SIX!) mice in our house. We haven't had that many in our house total in the 7 years we've lived here. So a few days ago, we took them in. I gotta admit, they are cute!

Thankfully, the mama cat (Nemo) goes in and out, so that helps. Because she poops like a DOG! And has not figured out what the litter box is for! Hmmm...she's a farm cat, go figure. And at night, Nemo cries for a while. Ah well. So the house stinks a little bit on occasion. Nemo goes hoarse after about a 1/2 hour, so that helps. LOL!
Yesterday was quite stressful for a while. Tye and Hanah went down to play with the kittens. They are usually quite responsible, although it did occur to me that maybe I should be supervising this playing with the kittens, since they are only 4. However I was involved with something else.
Well, one of the other kiddos brings to my attention that Pepper (Shianne named them Salt and Pepper) was MISSING! How do you lose a kitten in a basement? Especially a kitten that's known for her meowing?!?
Come to find out, Tye was putting them in things...like the play kitchen fridge and stove. This is what's going through my mind...we have friends whose son put a kitten in the drawer of his dad's tool box to save it from their dog. Well, his dad found it some time later. No more kitten. I took these kitties in to save them!
Why wasn't it meowing?! Tye, where did you put it!?! The door to the store room was open, so it could be in any box. Shianne's room was open, so I'm looking in her drawers! Tye thought she ran away, but he couldn't remember if he put her in something, because he was playing hide and seek with her. Ahhhhh! I just kept picturing having to tell Shi and Sierra that the kitten was missing and having it "turn up" in a few days.
Finally, since it was after lunch time, we had lunch and paused the search. I had decided I'd put the kiddos down for a nap and then turn the basement upside down. When I went downstairs, I heard a small meow! Praise the Lord!!! We found the kitten and she was fine! I think she was playing hide and seek...to stay away from Tye. When it was finally quiet, then she came out. Thank you, Lord! :] They never looked so cute.







4 comments:
OK, I think our lives are like salt and pepper - complete opposites. How fun for kids to grow up on a farm with all the animals.
Oh, why does Nemo cry at night?
Awwww, I love kitty cats!
When our grandson Bryce comes over and "helps" Wayne work, it is so cute! He follows him around and repeats everything Wayne says and does. Too cute. As for the kittens, I think that is all part of being a country mama! LOL!
Post a Comment