Brave Boy
You know how it goes...you're on the phone and the kids act up. My Grandmother says it happened to her all the time when her kids were young. At least I have the advantage of a cordless phone! She said they knew just how long the cord would reach, too!
Yesterday I was on the phone and Sierra, Tye and Jaden were running through the house (not usually allowed). A couple of times I told them to stop it, but...they knew I was on the phone.
Just as I was hanging up, Tye starts crying/screaming, and I had just heard a door slam. He was trying to "get" Sierra and she hurried in her room and shut the door. He tried to stop the door and his pinkie finger got slammed by the hinges. One look and it was apparent it was bad and would for sure need stitches.
Thankfully, about the same time Brandy walked in. We had plans to go out with friends and the sitter was getting dropped off in about 15 minutes. I told him to quick shower, wait for the sitter and meet me at the hospital emergency room...as the clinic was closed by then.
On the way over Tye did NOT want to go. "I don't want to get stitches!!"
I talked to him about ball, and told him that was the hand his glove goes on. If he didn't get stitches he might not be able to hold his glove anymore. He went in...I carried him in, but he wasn't convinced.
He was such a good patient! Ok, he screamed like I've NEVER heard him scream before. Especially when they got out the needle for the novocaine, and worse yet when they thought they had it numb and they really didn't. OUCH! Anyway, despite the crying and screaming, he never moved his hand, but kept it almost perfectly still.
He kept saying, "I wanna get outta here." I talked to him about ball some more and he even said, "I don't want to play ball." But he never moved his hand.
Daddy finally came through the door and that helped him calm down (helped Mom, too!). We took xrays and Praise the Lord it wasn't broken. He got NINE stitches in the top part of his little finger.

Later the nurse told him what a good job he did. And then said Mom did good, too! She said she would have been crying, too. I almost did, but thought it wouldn't have helped Tye a bit to see Mom cry. I almost cried again when she told me that.
After it was done he was just about normal Tye. And today he's been running around crazy again, with almost no pain, and with me reminding him to be careful of his finger!
You were a brave boy, Tye-Man! I love you!






3 comments:
Ow!! You are brave Tye (and Mom)! It's so hard to see your child in pain, isn't it? Glad to hear his finger isn't broken. And you're right...they always know when you're on the phone:)
Owie! Kudos to you for sticking with him, I wouldn't even go with Peter a few weeks ago--and I've not stayed in the room for the few times Leah's needed stiches, either! (Shoot, I didn't want to be in the room when I had to get a stitch a few years ago!
Poor thing!! I'd milk that owie for all it's worth. I'm glad he did not break it.
Karen Whitt
Post a Comment