Looking to God for Answers
Just an update without really letting you know anything at all (sorry, you'll have to wait!)...Brandy and I have a very large, life changing decision we are making right now. We've been praying a lot, and seeking His wisdom, His will, and His discernment. Trying our best to decipher from what is our will, and His.
God is so cool. I love the way He works sometimes. I say sometimes because sometimes I sure don't get how He works while I'm this side of Heaven, even though I know He has a plan.
Always the past 5 or 6 years or so, when I have a big decision to make, I turn to God's Word for answers. I find it has the answer to everything. Although sometimes it doesn't say directly what I should do, it gives me direction.
If I have a big decision to make, sometimes I just open the Word wherever and start reading. And sometimes God gives me answers that way. Sometimes not. But I always leave my reading with the knowledge that God is all powerful and He is in control.
I would not recommend just opening anywhere and reading a passage or chapter to find life's answers if you are not also in daily study of God's Word. Also, I'm told that God doesn't speak to everyone this way. He speaks to us in a lot of ways.
All this rambling to tell you that, even though some doubt that He does, God does speak to me this way on occasion. For example...
A few years ago God and I wear having a discussion about me getting up before everyone else and starting my day off with Bible reading. I am NOT a morning person. Don't like them. I like nighttime, which is partly why I don't like mornings. But I was feeling the heart tug that I should be starting my day off right.
This one day night it particular it was pretty late. I discussed with God that I would start getting up and meeting with Him in the morning, but not the next morning, ok Lord? It's pretty late and I know I won't be worth a hoot in the morning, much less be able to get my bum out of bed. So, I said, for tonight, I'll read Your Word now. So I randomly open my Bible and begin reading. What is the very first passage I read in Mark?
(VERY paraphrased in my own words, can't remember the exact verse right now).
"So Jesus got up very early in the morning and prayed."
HA!! LOL!! Okay, Lord I get it. I laughed and laughed and said, You've got quite the sense of humor, Lord. I closed my Bible and I did get up early that next morning. (I haven't been getting up early to study in a long time, but that's another story altogether).
My point to this long description is this...God does on occasion speak to me this way.
So, on to our big decision. I already mentioned what Brandy and I had been praying for. Getting ready for bed one night last week I once again prayed specifically for wisdom and discernment.
I went to bed and opened my Bible. Hoping God would tell me (us) what exactly to do. This is what I first laid my eyes on in Daniel 2 (NIV), a prayer of praise to God from Daniel...
"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.
God is so cool. I love the way He works sometimes. I say sometimes because sometimes I sure don't get how He works while I'm this side of Heaven, even though I know He has a plan.
Always the past 5 or 6 years or so, when I have a big decision to make, I turn to God's Word for answers. I find it has the answer to everything. Although sometimes it doesn't say directly what I should do, it gives me direction.
If I have a big decision to make, sometimes I just open the Word wherever and start reading. And sometimes God gives me answers that way. Sometimes not. But I always leave my reading with the knowledge that God is all powerful and He is in control.
I would not recommend just opening anywhere and reading a passage or chapter to find life's answers if you are not also in daily study of God's Word. Also, I'm told that God doesn't speak to everyone this way. He speaks to us in a lot of ways.
All this rambling to tell you that, even though some doubt that He does, God does speak to me this way on occasion. For example...
A few years ago God and I wear having a discussion about me getting up before everyone else and starting my day off with Bible reading. I am NOT a morning person. Don't like them. I like nighttime, which is partly why I don't like mornings. But I was feeling the heart tug that I should be starting my day off right.
This one day night it particular it was pretty late. I discussed with God that I would start getting up and meeting with Him in the morning, but not the next morning, ok Lord? It's pretty late and I know I won't be worth a hoot in the morning, much less be able to get my bum out of bed. So, I said, for tonight, I'll read Your Word now. So I randomly open my Bible and begin reading. What is the very first passage I read in Mark?
(VERY paraphrased in my own words, can't remember the exact verse right now).
"So Jesus got up very early in the morning and prayed."
HA!! LOL!! Okay, Lord I get it. I laughed and laughed and said, You've got quite the sense of humor, Lord. I closed my Bible and I did get up early that next morning. (I haven't been getting up early to study in a long time, but that's another story altogether).
My point to this long description is this...God does on occasion speak to me this way.
So, on to our big decision. I already mentioned what Brandy and I had been praying for. Getting ready for bed one night last week I once again prayed specifically for wisdom and discernment.
I went to bed and opened my Bible. Hoping God would tell me (us) what exactly to do. This is what I first laid my eyes on in Daniel 2 (NIV), a prayer of praise to God from Daniel...
"Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.
21 He changes times and seasons;
he sets up kings and deposes them.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.
22 He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.
23 I thank and praise you, O God of my fathers:
You have given me wisdom and power,
you have made known to me what we asked of you,
you have made known to us the dream of the king."
Not what I had expected! But there it was in black and white. God already HAS given me wisdom and discernment on this subject. I knew in my heart where He was leading us. I was just letting the world put doubts into my mind. But my heart knew. Like I said, isn't God cool? Gotta love Him!
Hope you don't mind my long post and my sharing. If you feel led to pray for loads and loads of wisdom and discernment for us to finish up this decision making process, Brandy and I would love it. God bless!






4 comments:
Praying for you--another great passage when God grants wisdom is I Kings 3:10-14 We just read that at our supper table with the kids.
Oh, God of giraffes and platypuses and sea otters and mosquitoes we do love your sence of humor!!!!
Too too funny!! Toot had to ask me 3 times what i was laughing about!
Love you to pieces
Praying for you as you seek His wisdom. He will guide you in the path He wants you to follow!
Carey -
I've been a long time fan of your blog but never left a comment until now. God gave me a nudge, so here goes . . . our family just returned from a Montana service project where we discussed God's leading. My advice is to sit still? We talked about how quickly life changes and the world moves arounds us. Sometimes God whispers and life is too loud to hear him. We're being pulled in so many different directions that it's not always easy to hear God anymore. As a fellow mom, I find it tough to listen. I'm so busy telling, that I forget to listen. So I would suggest that you sit still, be very quiet, take a breath, say a prayer and listen. I pray that God whispers to you and Brandy a clear direction for your lives! Of course, it's easier to hear whispers in NW Montana where the only noise is nature?
Praying for you and your family!
P.S. Keep up the great blog! You are a wonderful Christian witness to what moms should be!
Post a Comment