Olympic Games
Well, I'm barely making it, but I'm still posting on 8.8.08. The day of opening ceremonies in Beijing. If you hadn't heard, "8" is considered a lucky number in China, having to do with prosperity I believe (16,000 marriage licenses were issued in for today in China according to the news!).
We were gone tonight. Brandy working and the kids and I getting school supplies and then going to a friends. Brandy beat us home by a little bit and he was watching the ceremonies. Even though it was after 10 pm we let the kids stay up and watch a bit. We missed a lot of it but caught the torch being lit. Wow. China is trying very hard to present an awesome "face." It was amazing. I'd like to see the next country try to beat their opening ceremonies.

As sad is it is for me to see the government spending so much money on this--when so many orphans suffer and go without, as do so many of their people--I'm still happy for the Chinese people that they have this to be proud of.
A year and a few days ago I took these pictures across from Tienanmen Square. I can't remember right now what building it was? If you know, please comment! It was their countdown to the Olympics. This is a HUGE deal for them.
I'm ashamed to admit that other Olympics I took only a passing interest. This year I'll be watching a lot more closely! Hope you get to enjoy them as well.






2 comments:
I loved it! It was amazing. I don't think anyone can top that!
I too loved it, but also was sad about the money that was spent on it considering how many in China are so poor~
Post a Comment