Saturday, September 13, 2008

Date Nights

Well, Shi did end up being sick...bummer. Don't ya just hate it when your kids are sick? I do. So we had to postpone the Chinese Harvest Moon Party until Friday night. Honestly, I'll probably be in better shape by then cuz the puppies will be older and I won't be as tired/overwhelmed. However, we'll miss the moon. Monday is actually when the moon is at it's best. If it's clear, treat yourself by gazing at it for awhile!

So...I took advantage of the now free night and Brandy being back from the show, and Tye and I had our Date Night, just Mom and Tye.

I think I've talked about our "date nights" before, but here's a recap. A few years ago, knowing how important a father's relationship is with his girls, set up a date night for each of the kids with Dad. I didn't want the girls to all of a sudden be growing up (which happens all too fast) and Brandy realize he didn't know who they were anymore or how to relate to them cuz of the Mars/Venus thing. Dads and boys tend to have more things in common and not grow apart as fast, IMHO. But of course, Tye had to have one on one time with Dad, too, cuz Father/Son time is just as important. We have them in the summer when Brandy's hours tend to be not quite as crazy, and sometimes have them in Jan/Feb as well. A couple of the "rules" are it cannot be a movie (not enough interaction with each other), the kids within reason get to pick what to do, and no running errands, only date time.

After a discussion with Shianne not that long ago about the adoption, I realized it was time Mom stepped in and we had dates with Mom as well.

I had my dates with the girls a couple of weeks ago, and Tye's tonight. What a great time we had! Since Tye's was tonight, that is of course, foremost on my mind. I had a wonderful relaxing time with my 5 year old! We went out for pizza, played in a small park, and then went bowling. It was wonderful for me to get out of the house...and away from the puppies for a while. And it was super fun spending time with Tye.

Wouldn't you know it, even with bumpers in I still couldn't break 100!! Bowling never was my thing. I think Tye did better than me with his very professional system of throwing it in the air, hitting one bumper, then another and then the pins. He even got a couple of strikes!
Both girls wanted to go to Color Me Mine for their dates, a ceramics place. It is a lot of fun. I'd like to go there some night with my girlfriends. They have some really cute stuff. Dinnerware...vases, etc. Not just knickknacky stuff. Sierra made a unicorn bank. It turned out very cute.
For Shianne's date we went on pj night. You get a discount if you wear your pjs. And its fun to see the whole place full of people in their jammies! She made a plaque announcing
"Shianne's Room."My attempt at taking a picture of us by holding the camera at arm's length. I don't always see it, but many people tell me we look alike. Looking at this picture...ok, maybe we do! Shi takes the cake in the beautiful department though! And I can say that, even though I'm her Mom, cuz God personally designed her. And what a great work He did, don't ya think? :)

Well, off to see the puppies, and then to bed. They're all still alive. Although one has a nasty pussy eye infection that I'm hoping isn't the end of him. All others are gaining ground. Yippee! Still sticking to my guns that I can't continue this with 7 children. Hold me to that when the pups are older and I'm enjoying them, ok? (smile)

3 comments:

Amy said...

I have always thought Shi looks sooo much like you (as a kid and now)! But I remember what you looked like growing up too although you always had the long brown hair =). Anyway, looks like you all had a great time on your dates!

Whitty's Four said...

You both looked beautiful to me, but I must say, she looks just like her Momma.
Your a good Mom!!Dates are a great way to connect with your kids.

jennifer said...

I don't know how you can do the puppy thing with "only" 4 kids!!!

The date night pics are so cute. I should start doing that.

And, yes, Shianne looks exactly like you!! Beautiful!