FAQ
What a good night I had! I got to scrapbook pictures of our kid's from E. Even though I don't scrapbook often (although lately it's been more often), I enjoy working with pics of my kids. Memories...looking how cute they are...being reminded just how incredibly special they are. So to scrapbook our new kids pics was wonderful. I was possibly even glowing! LOL
I was reading a neat FAQ section over at The Heits blog. I know many of you have questions and I thought that this might be a good way to answer them. So if they don't mind my copying them, I thought this was a great way to address questions that have come up about the adoption.
- Why Adopt?
I might have to come back and edit this answer, cuz I'm not sure I can do it justice. The best reason is because God commands us to take care of the widow and the orphan. Now, that doesn't mean everyone is meant to adopt, but that's what it means for us.
Brandy and I have talked about adoption certainly for the past 6 years or so. Brandy remembers even seriously talking about it when we were first married. After giving birth to Tye, we decided no more biological kids. Pregnancy was hard on me and therefore hard on our family. Adoption seemed the logical choice to add to our family. There are so many orphans in the world.
Adoption is God's design just as much as biological kids are. We are adopted in God's family.
Joseph adopted Jesus. It's amazing to me that Joseph was no blood relation to Jesus and yet 2 of Jesus' genealogies in the Bible lead to Joseph, not Mary. Cool, huh? God designed adoption. And just as much as God picked out from the beginning of time your biological kids and matched them with you...He did the same with adoption. - Why Don't You Adopt From Your Home...the United States?
Well, one reason is for a family with 3 children, it's not easy. Although the foster to adopt program is an option, it is potentially very heartbreaking.
But the main reason? In our opinion, orphans in our country stand a chance. A good chance compared to some other countries. Granted our system is messed up and there are many many kids in the US crying out for a family to call their own. If you feel this way, please look into it! There are kids out there who need you. However, in the US, kids aren't starving. They aren't kicked out of an orphanage at, for example, 14 years old with no trade or place to go. I could get more graphic but this isn't the place. Orphans in other countries are beyond desperate. And that is where we feel called. - How Did This Decision Come About?
That's a tough one for me to answer. In my head it's a complex God-thing, but when I talk about it out loud it doesn't come out that way. Suffice it to say God led us to these kids, and He used the internet. We loved our old agency, AWAA, but followed our kids to a new agency, International Adoption Guides. The gal in charge of the E program is a wonderful Christian and fabulous to work with. That is so comforting. They are very hands on. She's been to E 7 times in the last 18 months. She knows our kids. We love that.
But back to our decision. Through discussion between ourselves, discussion with our Pastor and friend, Bible reading, TONS of prayer, Christian music, and just keeping our ears open to God's leading...it became very apparent that this is what God wants us to do.
God pretty much made it clear to me that if we said "no," we were saying no to Him. He also told me through His Word and other ways, that if I refused, He'd still love me. But I've found in my life that it just a whole lot better to do it God's way! He's always got a much better plan than me anyhow. - When Will They Be Home?
That depends on paperwork on our part, the US Citizenship's part, and E's part. We're hoping sometime between February and May of 2009. - Isn't Adoption Expensive?
Yep. But God is faithful.
A few years ago when God was nudging on our hearts to begin thinking more seriously about adoption I heard someone on a radio talk show talking about adoption. She said her Mom was concerned about the cost. She told her, "Mom, you've always said my God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. Well...He's just gonna' have to sell some cows!"
So true! God won't lead you down the adoption path without leading you to the financial means. One of these ways may be through available grants. - What Happened in Your Kids' Lives That Brought Them Up for Adoption?
With this question I'm going to copy the Heit's answer quite closely. Our agency has told us a few details, but not many, about our kids' biological family. We are certain their family loved them very much.
This story belongs to our kids. Although I do ask you to not ask them about it, eventually they may want to share their story. But we'll leave that up to them, and try not to share it ourselves. - Will They Know Any English?
We feel incredibly fortunate that our kids are in a wonderful care center run by our agency. They speak Amharic. They are being taught key words/phrases in English that will help them when they come home. They are all young, and should catch on fast by being immersed in a country that doesn't speak their language. At this same time, I can only imagine how hard and somewhat frightening this is going to be for them. Please keep them in your prayers. - What Do Your Kids Think About It?
Our kids at home are incredible! They are all supportive of it. Before making our final decision we talked about it as a family.
Sierra and Tye are excited to share rooms and can't wait to see their new siblings. Jaden, of course, is too young to even know something is going on. =) Shianne, while supportive of it, is old enough to know her world is about to change in a big way. So she has questions and concerns at times. But that's normal and healthy. I have questions and concerns at times as well. Shianne prays for them every evening and tells lots of people about them. She gets a kick out of people's reactions, especially at school when they didn't believe her at first!
Well, that it up for now! Feel free to post any other questions that I could add to this list. God Bless!






2 comments:
I couldn't of explained it any better!! (might have to copy it:)) God does call us, and we all need to be aware and listen to what He is nudging us to do! We are so blessed to have so much abundance! Praying for you all!
Thanks for taking the time to put this on your blog!
Have a great week!!
remember Jesus words,
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you, let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid--in this world you will have trouble, but take heart, I have overcome the world."
Post a Comment