Monday, September 08, 2008

Girls' Night Out

Shianne's main 10th birthday present was an overnight with Mom. We went this past Friday night. What a wonderful time we had!


A bit after school we headed for our hotel in Sioux Falls. We opted to eat in, ordering pizza and totally pigging out. Then we headed for the pool, of course. Mom even swam! Usually I'm a bit of a fuddy duddy when it comes to swimming, guess I blame it on getting old...er. But this was supposed to be a fun Mom/Daughter time so in I jumped. The water was actually warm and we had a great time! Since they didn't have a gym I swam some laps and got some exercise time, too.


We pushed back bedtime to about 10:30, and did our nails and watched one of Shianne's favorite channels...Animal Planet.


The next day started out with breakfast, and of course, swimming again. Although I'd already told Shi that one time was enough for Mom (and one shower) so I just watched and read a little.


Then off we went to one of my favorite Scrapbook stores! I'd signed us up for a Mommy and Me class. Shianne got to make a tin with an accordian style albumn inside. Lots of fun.

Then we tried a new-to-us resaurant, the Spicy Pickle. I found out why it's called that when I ate their dill pickle spear! We wanted to eat outside but it's been cooler here, and we weren't dressed for it, so in we went.

Then off to get some scrapping done! The store has a great back room where you can scrap for free.

It was so wonderful to have an extended one on one time with my eldest. She's smack in the middle of the tween years, and once in a while we clash on things as she's trying to find her place and figure out just who she is. It was wonderful to connect. She's very independent and I love that about her. We had some great talks.

While having lunch, she commented that it was so nice to be able to just sit and relax, without her siblings running around being crazy and noisy (she's cut down a little bit in the crazy/noisy dept). Then she said she was kinda worried about how it would be with 3 more. I told her I was concerned about that, too. She was surprised to hear that we would still be able to find time for one on one time with Mom, and still have dates with Dad. It made her feel better. And we talked about how she won't be sharing a room, so she can always go there for some quiet time.

My girl is growing up...

What a great weekend!

1 comment:

janelle said...

Way to go Carey - those things are always easy to say "I'm going to do" but so much harder to follow up on - I have these "dates" that I have committed to taking Morgan on but it is so easy to let months go by before I realize how much time has passed in between - you motivated and encouraged me.