Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Here we go again...

In the wee hours of Monday morning, Molly, one of our boxers, had 9 puppies.

Before today, I was saying so far, so good! If you've followed my blog for a while, you know that for some reason we have a terrible time with boxer puppies. Terrible time keeping them alive that is.

But Molly has been doing better than before. This is her 3rd litter, and we're thinking maybe she's figuring it out a bit more. Plus, we ordered some FFP, fresh frozen plasma. It's injected into the pups to replace colostrum. Since Molly's milk doesn't come in well right away, it seemed like a good idea. And we've been going out every 2 hours to make sure they are latching on. About every 3 hours in the middle of the night.

Today it looks like we're going to lose one. Now tonight it looks like we're going to lose two. (sigh). Ugh. I hate it. If we "only" lose two that's definitely better than our average, but...ugh.

I'm in a uck mood because I just assisted Brandy in removing dew claws and cutting tails. I know I've said it before, but who in their right mind ever looked at a boxer and said..."I think they'd look better with short stubby tails"?!? Sheesh. What's the point?!? Now every one of them is set back, because, yes, getting your tail cut off is a shock to your system. Sheesh.

I'm thinking, why again, are we doing this?? I believe we started cuz it would be good for the kids...and to make some extra money...and cuz we really like dogs. Well, even with losing pups we are making money, I guess. And the kids are definately learning life lessons. And I do enjoy them when they're a bit older. And I like talking to the people who "adopt" them. But it is so hard to watch a puppy die and have very little you can do about it. Knowing that every effort you make probably won't help in the long run, but just make his/her misery last longer. That's why after the last litter I said that I was no longer going to try "going the extra mile" with those who look like they aren't going to make it. Cuz I put my heart into them and they just die anyway. Of course, today, I couldn't help myself. I did it. I took one in the house to start hand feeding her. She did gain weight, but now she has diarrhea from the puppy formula. So she's back with her mom but she still doesn't want to nurse. And now she has diarrhea on top of it. Frustrating. I hate the idea that when I go back out there in a little while she'll be worse.

Ok, I need to come out of my funk mood.

A 1st grader in my friend's daughter's class died today. Out of the blue. At school. They don't know why yet. I couldn't help but cry when she told me tonight even though I don't know the family. That's part of the reason for my mood. Please pray for the family and all the little 1st graders. I believe his name was Carlos.

Lord, protect my little ones, my family and my friends. Thank you for how richly you've blessed us. Amen.

2 comments:

Jinglebritches said...

Hugs

Love you

janelle said...

I love the "Life Promise" on KNWC today:

Today's Life Promise: Isaiah 26:3 -You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, whose thoughts are fixed on you. (The Book)

Praying for the family who lost their little "love." My heart hurts-how theirs must hurt...