Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Ahhh...

Sometimes I debate whether or not we should live in town, or at least closer to one of the towns we're always driving to, especially lately. It's probably no different than those of you who live in a bigger city, having to drive everywhere, but it does get a little tiring. We're 11 miles from school, 23ish miles from the high school. About 16 miles from where we do all our shopping and dance and gymnastics, etc. And 19 miles from church. Since we're going to have 7 kids, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be wiser to live closer. Less time on the road! And there are other nice things about living closer. Like quick running to the store when you're out of something. Being able to go for a walk even when it's dusk because there are lights. Being able to take your kids for a walk because there's cement. Running to the park for 1/2 an hour. Having friends over. Quick getting together with a friend.

However...

I love our acreage. I didn't use to. I liked it but had a hard time getting settled. I think it's partially because when we moved here 8 years ago I was sick sick sick being pregnant with Sierra. It took me a long time to get settled. There were some other things that happened while we were here that weren't good memories, either.

But I'm finally to the point of where I love it. The "ahhh..." feeling when you drive on the driveway and know you're home. Even if that is wrecked sometimes by walking into a messy house! I love the country. Wide open spaces. We have no mountains or ocean but we have a great view of the countryside. At night the stars here are amazing. With almost no other lights to compete with them...wow. The milky way is beautiful. When I'm working with the dogs late at night I love walking up to the house in the quiet, seeing our horse standing quietly, looking at the wind blow through the trees, and look up at the stars being amazed at God's creation. Peace.

Oh, and did I mention privacy? Yeah, that's nice too. And a big area for the kids to play. And I always (well, usually) know where my kids are.

Our house isn't large, but it's a nice size. And I love our open floor plan.

And the biggest thing. We're 2 miles from the farm where Brandy works. He's super busy, but that means on occasion he can stop home for lunch (adult sanity check for mom!). That means he can stay home a little while longer in the morning and be home a little quicker at night. Hmmmm....

Food for thought (for me).

No comments: