Wednesday, October 08, 2008

What's Your Opinion?

Ok, so...I'm gonna need some new dinnerware. On occasion we already run out cuz it's in the dishwasher. Daycare adds to that, but so will 3 new family members (oh, side note, we bought more flatware at Sam*s Club this weekend...on the cheap side, but we'll be able to throw some away if need be...the drawer's so full it's heavy! Brandy's happy, no more running out of spoons!).

Here's our dinnerware history (be prepared to be excited and on the edge of your seat). As for "good" dinnerware, for our wedding we got an offwhite set of pfaltzgraff, which I tend to use when we all sit down for supper. Recently, thanks to an aunt who gave me a gift card (thanks, Marylee!), I bought some really pretty dinnerware for when company comes to eat, or when we just feel like living it up a bit. Also from our wedding I have china from my Grandmother. She bought it one piece at a time when I was probably 8 years old or so from our small town grocery store (that said, it is quite nice)...buy so many groceries, get a piece for a certain price or something on that order. I remember telling her at the time that she was silly, cuz I wasn't getting married any time soon. Now however, I appreciate it. Sometimes I remember to get it out on holidays.

But our main dishes? The ones we use for lunch and breakfast and snacks and daycare? Corelle. Let's go durable, right? My first Corelle set was my mom's set, I think she got it from the same aforementioned Grandmother. It was accented in 70s green and I think gold? Then I found another set at a rummage sale. I actually bought it for my brother who had just purchased his first home. It was too "pretty" for him so Mom suggested I give him the white/green stuff. I didn't really like the rummage sale stuff so much but I inherited it. And I have to say for the last 10 years or so it has served us well (pun intented). Anyhoo...

Long story to say it's time for new Corelle. I found some at Target that are in my price range. I tried the Corelle website but Target was cheaper. Go figure.

Which pattern do you think I should go with?

Here we have a pattern that would test time. I could probably pass it down to my kids when I felt like new. Basic (but boring?).
It's called Classic Cafe... I'm tempted to go with something a bit more fun. However it will get outdated sooner.

I really like this pattern but am not sure about the black mugs (or are they brown?). It's called (very unique name)...Square Patterned Dinnerware...

This one is called Memphis...

Another fun one. It's called Kitu...

So PLEASE let me know what you think! Hmmm...maybe I should get hubby's opinion, too. (smile)

13 comments:

Jinglebritches said...

I am diggin the one with the black mug!! The one with the blue mug is fun and would be great for ALL those kids of yours! ;0} Cant stand the bottom one.
Zat help any????

Love you to pieces

Amy said...

I like the 2nd one (square patterned) but those are colors that I love right now. My second pick would be the first pattern. Happy shopping!

Heidi said...

I'm a fan of the last one! I like the unique! Or the second one is cute too- not so out there! I think when you have poeple over and pull out the last one they are going to say "wow these are cool dishes."

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I vote for the last one! But all of them are really cool.

cobo said...

I have the Classic Cafe (in blue)-got it 4 years ago for my wedding and love it--goes with any type of serving dishes/casseroles/etc. I have separate fancy china and few fun serving pieces, but I think the classic stripe will stand the test of time. (love #2 for now, tho!)

Miriam said...

Kitu, I think it accentuates your multi-cultural family. there's my opinion for what its worth

janelle said...

I have to vote for the last one as well, then #1 would be my next choice.

Also, since you can't wait to hear all my thoughts on this, I'll tell you that I still have 4 plates from a set of Corelle that my mom had when I was at home. I love pulling that piece of my childhood out of the cabinet every once in a while when the others are all in the dishwasher. Also, in the camper, I have an even older set of dishes from my mom, not sure what they are, but they are vintage baby - they go well with the camper.

There, now you don't have to wait any longer for my opinion! :o)

pjansma said...

Memphis has my vote. It has lots of decorating options. But you better let Brandy have a little say in this. I'm, sure whatever you choose will set a fun table and the food will taste delicious!
Priscilla

Sara said...

I like the last one - Kitu.
Let us know what you decide.

Mom2Bs said...

Hi Carey, missed you last night at Katelyn's Fund!!
The last one!! I wanted to get some similiar, but I got the corelle stoneware, too heavey!! Go for the last one!!

Anderson Crew said...

My favorite is the Kitu!

Michelle said...

Carey, Leave it to you to ask the blog world to help you decide you tableware! I like Memphis the best. Bright and colorful like many of your family meals will be!

Crista said...

I love the Memphis! My 2nd fav is the first one. I'm in the market for new Corelle too - we're living on a stack of hand-me-downs - 4 patterns! (Do the kiddos get a vote? ;o) ).