Thursday, January 08, 2009

Slip Slidin' Away....

Last night the kiddos had Pioneer Club at church. They had a wonderful time at the Winter Carnival with their Pals (an adult from church paired up with them that prays for them, gets the little gifts at Christmas, and goes to parties with them...it's a really cool program). Anyhoo...

(Some of you may remember this picture of "Bob" from last fall...)




Picking the kids up from Pioneer Club. There are still some pretty icy spots around here, although the roads are nice and clear. But this parking spot I was in wasn't clear. Bob does really well stopping on ice (Praise the Lord!) but not starting on ice.

So I notice I'm having a little bit of a time backing out of this spot. But I'm right next to a driveway by the ball field. I'm backed up enough that I can drive forward and swing around in this driveway.

All is well until I'm almost out of this very slanted downhill driveway. Then I start slipping down the hill.

Uhmm...apparently rear wheel drive 12 passenger vans don't do so well on icy slopes.

So there I sat. Wheels spinning away. I back up a tiny bit hoping there's a bit of traction there. Spin some more. Wondering how much life I'm taking off my tires. Try again. No dice.

I sit for a minute. In the van I have 4 kiddos and a dog (she had been along for a haircut). So I sit and ponder. Now what. Spin again. Nope. Still slippery.

Thankfully a gentleman from our church was watching, and came over to assist (thanks, Rog!!). He took in the situation and saw some clearer ground a little further down the slope. He coached me to the spot. No dice. A little further. I got a running start!! And then started sliding in place once more.

Rog decided to get behind the wheel and try. Candy from church came over to see if she could help and we watched. Almost...almost...nope, not gonna happen. Rog decided to get reinforcements.

After a few minutes, here come the troops! About 6 or so guys from church plus Candy. I got behind the wheel. Please Lord, don't let me back any of these dear people over!!! They got behind and pushed while I gingerly stepped on the gas. We went up....up...up...and out! Hip hip hooray!!

Thanks to all who helped me out of a slippery situation last night!! I really appreciate you!!

Marathon 24

  • 64 oz water
  • 10 min strength training
  • no eating after 8:30
  • bed by 10:30

2 comments:

Amy said...

I must say I don't miss dealing with driving on ice. I can't even imagine trying to manuever a 12 passenger van on normal condition, much less on ice! Glad you had some help to get you on your way!

Karen said...

I am so glad we don't have to worry about ice here. I just love your new van! Especially the color!