Introducing....

Svanna is a delight. She is very mothering, which is typical for girl her age in Ethiopia. Plus she has been the only mothering constant in her little sister's life. She is already handing over the mothering reigns to me. That went a little easier than I thought it would. I think possibly (I hope) it is a relief to her, and she can just be a child.
She loves clothes. Her favorite color is pink. Her and Sierra have hit it off like pb&j. Sierra is WAY excited that Svanna is a little older than we thought (Svanna tells us she is 8, and that seems right to us at this time) and so now she has a twin.
Svanna is amazed by technical things. She loved the hand dryers and the automatic faucets at the airport. I think she went to the bathroom a few times just so she could use them! At home, her absolute favorite appliance is the washer and dryer. I'll surely be kept up with laundry because whenever they stop she comes to get me. "Off" she says and we have to start another load. Brandy thinks this is hilarious!
The colder weather doesn't seem to bother her. In fact I had to let her know this morning I meant it when I said to put on a coat when going outside!
She is quite pre-teen. She doesn't always like to listen and is quite dramatic (rolling her eyes, etc). But most of the time she listens very well, even if she thinks her Mama is nuts. ha!
She is our picky eater. However after suggesting she try something she at times likes it and will take seconds! I don't begrudge her for being skeptical, American food is VERY different from Ethiopian food.
Gabriel Asmelash
5 years old


Gabe is the calmest of the bunch so far. He is very sweet. Although he has been known to pester his sisters just to get a rise out of them!
He likes to play with cars and batman toys. He can be very loud, just like Tye. He also talks very animatedly...although we don't know what he's saying!
He has a naughty side, and smiles the biggest when he's doing something naughty. Listening in Ethiopia and at the airport wasn't going so well. However at home he's been doing much better at that. He likes toys...especially other kids' toys! Which is pretty typical for kids. Especially ones who have really never had much they could call their own.
He is the least picky about food...although he thinks grapes are gross (of course they aren't very sweet this time of year).
He LOVES to play outside. They all do.
He seems quite happy to have his own bed. In Ethiopia they all shared twin beds at the care center. Already at the Guest House where we stayed, he preferred not to sleep with his sisters, who wanted to sleep together. He hates naps, and will cry quietly if we ask him to take one. For the most part we've decided he doesn't need to take them.
Summer Firewoyni
Age 3

Summer is the peanut of the group! What a doll.
She is very strong willed. We found out, even with the language barrier, from her nannies that she had her highs and lows even at the care center. We found out early on that she has high ups and low lows. She is either very happy or very mad! However since we've gotten home she's evened out a bit. Her tantrums have settled down and are more manageable. She had a screaming fit in Ethiopia that lasted 50 minutes!
But otherwise she is a joy. Just as cute and sweet as ever.
She is willing to try new foods. She likes playing with Jaden. She hates taking a nap. Although she does still need them. So we deal with a little tantrum and then she falls asleep.
She still likes sleeping with her sister, Svanna, because that is what she knows and it is comforting to her.
She thinks many things are hilarious. Her giggle is awesome. That and her babbling in her language is just precious.
Lord God, thank you for these indescribable gifts! Thank you for blessing us with the opportunity to have these treasures in our lives. What a privilege!






12 comments:
Tears of joy & amazement at God's precious gifts and HIs sustaining grace! May you continue to be blessed & encouraged as you all adjust!
Can't wait to meet them in person! I was showing my kids the pictures and explaining to them and Allyson asked what happened to the other kids (meaning Shi, Sierra, Tye and Jaden. I reassured her that she could still play with them too!
Praying that the transition continues to go well!
Wow, you have learned a lot in the last few days. You must go to bed exhausted! I'm sure your new family will enjoy the nice weather today. Thanks for taking the time to share the new members with all of us. Priscilla
It is so great to "meet" these beautiful children. God bless you! Also, I see in the previous post that Tye had a birthday. Happy birthday, cutie pie!
Wow, Carey! Three more beautiful children -- you are blessed beyond measure! Enjoy the cocooning time as a family. Prayers for your continued transitions. :)
I don't have any words to describe what I feel. So happy for you - for THEM!!
Praying for the adjustments that are sure to come yet and that communication isn't a stumbling block.
Awe, God answered your(our) prayers!
Each one of your children are amazing! It is so neat to see how where you you live, each of child is diffrent!
Praying that you all continue to bond as a family of God!
I am so happy for you!
Blessing's!
They are home...HOORAY!!!!!
So happy for you! It's awesome to see their smiling faces! Praying for you!
Congratulations!! God has truly answered prayers. What little cuties!! We will continue to pray for all of you during this transition period.
Congratulations! They are so beautiful!
SO SO glad to see them home!!! They are sooo precious!!!!!
Post a Comment